When I first came up with the Underground Legends “UGL” training program, I had researched and been a part of many fitness regimens. I had no complaints about any training program I had previously been involved with, but I knew there was something else out there better for me. I did not want to focus too much on one area such as strength, endurance, flexibility, etc., but wanted to cover all so that my other areas did not struggle to keep up. I wanted a training regimen that would give me the best of all aspects of fitness. I wanted to be Strong but not necessarily be big, Powerful but flexible at the same time, Fast yet agile. After talking with many well respected fitness professionals from all over the U.S., I decided to come up with Underground Legends overall strength & conditioning. While covering the 10 General Physical Skills Of Fitness, I also wanted to cover the 5 General Disciplines I like to follow during my training.
10 General Skills Of Fitness:
1. Cardio reparatory endurance – The ability of body systems to gather, process & deliver oxygen.
2. Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store & utilize energy.
3. Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
4. Flexibility – The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
5. Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force at minimum time.
6. Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
7. Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
8. Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
9. Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
10. Balance– The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
5 General Disciplines:
1. Nutrition – I use a very simple method for my nutrition. Eat good stuff “a lot of it” and stay away from the bad stuff. I follow the block method. I take my fist and that’s about how much I should be eating of protein, fruit, or vegetable. If you had 3 fists, one would be your protein, another would be your fruit, and the last would be your vegetable. You can use many different combinations with your cooking: “be creative”. I also use brown rice and sweet potatoes in my nutrition plan. You must make proper food choices everyday. If you can do this you will separate yourself from the ones who can’t, and you will clearly see and feel the difference.
2. Recovery – Most people believe they are getting stronger when they are training. Where you get strong is in your recovery. Simply put, the recovery / preparedness method is recovering from your current training session while preparing the mind & body for the next session. There are numerous ways you do this. Everyone will have their own particular way they like to recover. Here are some ways I choose to recover: Supplementation- Protein, branch chain amino acids “BCAA”, fish oil, multi-vitamins. Sleep – No less than 7 and no more than 8.5. The more hours you get before midnight the better. Water Intake – I can’t stress how important this is for you. Water is the best anabolic you have. Lifestyle & Habit – Partying, drinking, and smoking are definitely not good for recovery. Nutrition – Without it you are doomed. Stretching – this is probably one of the most under rated components of fitness, yet it might be one of the most important & beneficial. From the warm-up to the workout to the cool down, stretching should be implemented. There are also different methods like a massage, hot sauna, ice baths, taping or wrapping. I have tried just about every method there is, so don’t be scared to find what is best for you.
3. Be Balanced – how many times have you been to the gym and seen a guy with giant arms, only to be disappointed by his legs that look like a #2 pencil. Being balanced is another rule that is very simple in theory yet hard in practice. Injury is one of the most serious side effects of being unbalanced. Simply look at it like this; if you push something you need to pull something. “Too much of one thing is never good”.
4. Train Across All Metabolic Pathways – knowing how metabolic pathways and energy systems work is crucial to seeing results. You are only as strong as your weakest area, and that my friend is why we always attack our weaknesses. The central nervous system “CNS” adapts differently to each energy system so training all of them is very important. Specialize in not specializing and you find yourself getting better in every aspect from lifting, running, training, and actual sport.
5. Find Good Coaching – Learning is the main objective here. If you don’t learn it in school you have to learn it somewhere. You can learn something from anyone, whether it’s good or bad. Finding a good coach is part of the journey you take when you are learning about something new. It could be a sport, a lift, a track event, etc. I have trained with coaches like Scott Wells, Carl Edwards, Dutch Lowy, and Jeremy Thiel. While these names might not mean much to some, these guys will teach you something that you can never learn in a book. A good coach will not only be able to help you with your fitness goals, but they will also change your life in a way outside the fitness realm. I cannot begin to tell you how many lessons I have learned from my coach outside the rack or off of the platform. Lessons that have helped me become a better coach, son, brother and overall person. Get out there and find someone who has more confidence in you than you have in yourself. Sometimes it takes a good coach to see something in you that you don’t see in yourself.
My belief is a fit mind within a fit body is a powerful weapon against negative forces. We have our mind, body, and spirit and that is it. If we lack strength in any of these 3 areas then we become vulnerable for an attack. While it might take years to see results physically it can take a lifetime to see growth mentally & spiritually. Disciplines from Underground Legends overall strength & conditioning can help you regain the focus you need to improve on all 3 levels. It takes a lifetime commitment to grow as a man / woman in a way to where you will be able to leave a legendary lesson for those to follow. Start training today, and become part of a team, become part of a family, become legendary.
-Proud Owner & Founder Of Underground Legends